Elliott-Lewis is the premier HVAC service company in Philadelphia, providing total engineering, installation and maintenance services. We are seeking a full-time Art Exhibit Installer for our contract site at the Philadelphia International Airport.
The Exhibition Installer is responsible for the preparation and painting of walls and pedestal furniture, installation, art handling, framing and matting, and the daily cleaning and maintenance of the artwork and cases. This role works closely with the Exhibitions Preparator, Exhibitions Assistant, Assistant Director, and Director of Guest Experience and Chief Curator to ensure timely and safe installations. Performs related work as required.
All work is performed in accordance with standard museum and airport best practices. As an overview, nature of work requires excellent verbal and organizational skills, manual dexterity, heavy lifting, and skilled care in the handling of valuable art objects.
Applicants should have knowledge of:
- Framing/matting, fabrication, art handling, and installation experience
- Museum art handling standards and procedures. The ability to handle valuable and delicate works of art with extreme care.
- Museum packing standards and procedures. The ability to safely unpack and repack art objects.
- Standard tools, practices, and methods used in painting, rough and finish carpentry work, and the use of different materials such as various kinds of lumber, fabrics, plastics, mechanical fasteners, and adhesives.
- Comfortable with use of standard power tools.
- Picture framing standards, including matting and label fabrication.
The ideal candidate will have ability to:
- Prioritize and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Work well with a team.
- Supervise freelance art handlers and art shippers.
- Assist with the construction of props, backgrounds, and exhibit furniture.
- Prepare, hang, and install art objects for exhibit.
- Move and handle art objects safely.
- Physically handle often large-scale, heavy, and valuable works of art with extreme care. Work from sketches and follow instructions as to construction and installation of museum exhibits.
- Select and use a variety of materials, techniques, and equipment to create and safely present the artwork.
- Requisitions lumber, paint, fabrics, lighting, tools, and materials as needed for specific installations and anticipates long-range material and equipment needs and advises accordingly.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Check and clean exhibition areas on a regular basis to ensure that the exhibitions are maintained as originally designed.
- Provide for the proper security of art objects by arranging the appropriate security measures and devices when necessary.
- Completion of Bachelor’s Degree program at an accredited college or university with major in art related field.
Ideal Candidate Experience:
- Preferred 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the preparation, construction, and installation of exhibit displays; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- One-year full-time experience as an exhibition’s installer within a professional exhibition facility
- Experience working within an airport arts environment is exceptional
Our organization welcomes applicants that are both union members and non-union and we offer a robust compensation package including:
- Highly competitive base salary,
- Merit-based raises,
- Medical / Health Insurance Plans,
- Vision coverage,
- Dental coverage,
- 401k Retirement Plan with company match,
- Two weeks vacation during first year at entry-level with even more earned over tenure,
- many additional voluntary benefits including several life insurance options, accident insurance, several disability insurance options, and more.
We know that great talent can come from a variety of backgrounds. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to affirmative action and diversity. Background, MVR checks, and drug tests are performed for all positions.
EOE – Female/Minority/Vets/Disabled
Click here to apply for this position